Hodgson recalled to Vancouver Canucks roster

By Terrance Gavan – Editor Voice Blog

Haliburton cottager and Dysart Hall of Famer Cody Hodgson is getting his chance to shine.

The Vancouver Province reports that Hodgson was called up Monday, January 31 to the team that picked him first overall in the 2008 draft.

The following is from CP – Canadian press:

Canuck assistant general manager Laurence Gilman said Hodgson will centre the team’s fourth line.

 

That position has been unsettled since grinder Alex Bolduc suffered a dislocated shoulder two weeks ago. The Canucks have experimented with wingers Mason Raymond and, the last few games, Tanner Glass at centre on the fourth line, and earlier this season gave minor-league centres Mario Bliznak and Joel Perrault brief auditions.

 

“Since Alex Bolduc got hurt, we’ve been trying different combinations,” Gilman said this morning before boarding the team’s flight to Dallas. “Players like Tanner Glass have performed admirably. But they’re not natural centres. Cody is a natural centre and this gives us the opportunity to get that skill set in our lineup.

 

“It’s an audition of sorts. This gives us an opportunity to assess Cody, and gives him an opportunity to get his feet wet in the National Hockey League and get his career started.”

 

Injured Jan. 14, Bolduc is expected to be out of the lineup 4-6 weeks.

 

Hodgson has 10 goals and 16 points in 28 games, but is pointless in four games since returning from injury on Jan. 23. The 20-year-old Toronto native suffered fractured cheekbones on Dec. 8, after taking an errant stick to the face during practice.

 

Hodgson, who had been wearing a full face shield since his return, joins fourth-line winger Aaron Volpatti along with defencemen Lee Sweatt and Chris Tanev as players on the Canucks lineup with no NHL experience before this season.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Vancouver+Canucks+recall+prospect+Cody+Hodgson/4196803/story.html#ixzz1CdjBn6pI